Finnish Refugee Council (FRC) / Suomen Pakolaisapu (www.refugeecouncil.fi) is an International non-governmental organisation with Head Office in Helsinki; FRC advocates for the rights of refugees, displaced populations and migrants, and supports their new beginning. By reinforcing equality and creating opportunities for everyone to lead a good life, FRC promotes the establishment of stable and peaceful societies.
Education forms the foundations of an equal society, and FRC´s activities place emphasis on capacity building for the most vulnerable members of societies as well as for community-based organisations, thus strengthening basic democratic structures.
FRC is currently implementing a humanitarian project in Gambella Region, funded by the Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, which aims at equipping targeted South Sudanese refugees and host communities with functional literacy, numeracy, and life skills.
FRC is searching for a motivated and experienced professional as Country Director to provide leadership for the country programme in Ethiopia.
Description of main tasks:
- Strengthen the presence of FRC in the country and its country office
- Supervise the management of FRC humanitarian and development interventions
- Expand the scope of FRC operations both geographically and sector-wise and the donor portfolio.
Specific duties and responsibilities:
- Responsible for managing the organisation in accordance with the regulations of Ethiopian authorities and FRC;
- Manage, in line with approved proposals, budgets and workplans, FRC operations;
- Assess the activities undertaken, ensuring efficient, accountable and transparent use of resources and ensures timely reporting
- Recruit, direct and supervise the national staffs;
- Design, in consultation with FRC HQs, the Country Strategy and updates it regularly based on identified needs and possibilities within the FRC strategic framework;
- Liaise and network with both international and national stakeholders;
- Assess donor environment and opportunities for funding and seeks partnerships with other actors;
- Supports Communications and Marketing unit by providing writings, photos and other information on field activities;
- Represents FRC in front of the National Authorities, Institutional Donors, international and national organisations and the coordination mechanisms present at national level.
The Country Director responds to the Director of the International Programme and coordinates with the Head of Humanitarian Operations and Global Grants.
- University Degree in relevant subjects (i.e. Education, Social Sciences, Development or equivalent)
- at least 5 years working overseas in the development and humanitarian sector, with proven experience of interventions in education, social sector and/or livelihoods;
- at least 4 years in a senior management position within NGO sector, including responsibility for project management and budget management and control;
- previous experience in Ethiopia (or East Africa) and familiarity with the context of operations.
- Commitment to FRC's values;
- Strong experience in result-based project development and management;
- Familiarity with financial management and bookkeeping;
- Personnel management skills
- Ability to work in a team, with culturally diverse group of people;
- Problem solving skills in day to day as well as crisis situations;
- Strategic planning
- Excellent communication skills and ability to represent FRC with a broad range of stakeholders including donors, government officials, national and international organisations;
- Negotiation skills
- Ability to draft complex narrative text, such as project reporting and project proposals
- Proficient written and spoken English language skills.
- Proficiency in using Microsoft Office package.
- Training on PCM, finance and administration and security
- Proficiency in Finnish and/or Amharic languages
- Familiarity and previous experience in vocational/functional adult literacy programmes.
Duration of commitment
1 year with possible extension subject to available funding; suggested start date 15th of February 2021.
Addis Ababa with frequent travels to project area/s (at least 30% of the time).
Applications (CV and cover letter) should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org by 1st of December, 2020.
Interviews (via teleconference as well) will be tentatively held on 16th and 17th of December 2020.
- Vastuuviikon koordinaattori
- Country Director
- Siviilikriisinhallintatehtäviä, UNITAMS
- Police Expert
- Vastaava visuaalinen suunnittelija
- Televarainhankinnan koordinaattori (sijaisuus)
- Opiskelijajäsenhankinnan koordinaattori
- Kampanjakoordinaattori (sijaisuus)
- Koordinaattori, jäsenpalvelu ja kansalaistoiminta
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen Maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.