Publications associate (Personnel Service Agreement – PSA)
Organizational unit: United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
Reference number: 2019/UNU/WIDER/PSA/PA/67
Closing date: 18 September 2019, 23:59 UTC+3
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is ‘open access’. More information on UNU-WIDER’s current work programme, is available at: www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is now looking for a publications associate to join the publications team in Helsinki. The selected candidate will primarily handle the processes and finalization of working papers for online publishing on the Institute’s website.
Under the overall supervision of the Senior Research Fellow and the day-to-day supervision of the Editorial and Publishing Associate, the incumbent will:
- Co-ordinate outsourcing of copy-editing of scientific research papers (primarily working papers).
- Distribute assignments to ensure efficient and effective processing of papers/studies. Compile and maintain a database of new submissions, deadlines, special needs, etc.; monitor timely turnover of incoming papers/studies for processing; request and monitor estimates of future incoming working papers from the work programme via resident and non-resident research fellows and other affiliates.
- Ensure quality control by running all new submissions via anti-plagiarism software; discuss with SRF/director those papers/studies with high reproduction content and decide on solutions/ways forward.
- Store final text; ensure final publications/products are uploaded to the website.
- Develop knowledge and understanding of the WIDER Working Paper series internally and externally.
- Act as focal point of the team of external copy editors. Monitor and assess copy editors’ work and provide feedback with regard to editing standards. Recruit, train, and mentor new copy editors as required.
- Provide administrative support for the workflow of the Publications Team and the Office, as required.
- As required in cases of urgency, finalize academic research papers for publication by formatting, copy-editing, and ensuring accuracy of content, terminology, grammar, syntax, punctuation, spelling, and conformity with the style of the Institute.
- Contribute to the design and implementation of publishing procedures to ensure accuracy, clarity, as well as consistency.
- Regularly evaluate existing workflows to ensure the most efficient processes are followed.
- Maintain files/records (both paper and electronic) for work unit.
- Assist Editorial and Publishing Associate when needed. During absences of the other team member(s), assist in carrying out the duties.
- Perform other related work as required.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree with at least three (3) years of relevant work experience. Or,
- Completion of secondary school education with at least six (6) years of relevant work experience
- Proven ability to organize, prioritize, and co-ordinate workflows and processes within a busy work environment to meet tight deadlines
- Outstanding command of written English language, with excellent academic writing and editing skills; professional experience in copy-editing and publications strongly preferred
- A keen eye for detail and problem-solving
- Ability to multi-task, working with minimal supervision and a high level of resilience
- Working knowledge and experience using MS Office. Working knowledge of anti-plagiarism detection software, LaTeX, and EndNote would be an advantage
- Knowledge of the UN systems is an advantage; previous experience of working in international development organizations would be an asset.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the administration.
This is a locally-recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN
Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU has its own medical insurance for employees contracted under a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA).
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-WIDER, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations organizations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, article 8).
- Kriisinhallintatehtäviä, UNITAD
- Reporting Officer, EUCAP Mali
- Maakoordinaattorin avustaja (SARC) (JPO)
- Program evaluators for a joint foundation evaluation
- Kehitysyhteistyön hankekoordinaattori
- Hallinnollisten prosessien kehittäjä
- Digitaalisen viestinnän asiantuntija
- Innovaatiohankkeiden ja vastuullisen liiketoiminnan erityisasiantuntija
- Siviilikriisinhallintatehtäviä, EUPOL COPPS
- Maakoordinaattorin avustaja
- Hallintouran virkamiehiä (HALKU)
- Kesätyöntekijöitä rippikoulu- ja nuorisotyöhön
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen Maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.