Project Management Services
Organizational Unit: United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
Reference number: 2019/UNU/WIDER/PSA/PMS/78
Closing date: 23 October 2019, 23:59 UTC+3
About UN University
For the past four decades, UNU has been a go-to think tank for impartial research on the pressing global problems of human survival, conflict prevention, development, and welfare. With more than 400 researchers in 13 countries, UNU’s work spans the full breadth of the 17 SDGs, generating policy-relevant knowledge to effect positive global change. UNU maintains more than 200 collaborations with UN agencies and leading universities and research institutions across the globe. For more information please visit www.unu.edu.
United Nations University World Institute for Development Economics Research (UNU-WIDER)
UNU-WIDER is a leading international development economics think tank. The Institute provides economic analysis and policy advice with the aim of promoting sustainable and equitable development for all. The Institute began operations in 1985 in Helsinki, Finland, as the first research centre of the United Nations University. Today it is a unique blend of think tank, research institute, and UN agency — providing a range of services from policy advice to governments, as well as original research that is available on open access. More information on UNU-WIDER’s current work programme, is available at: www.wider.unu.edu.
UNU-WIDER is looking for an outstanding individual with strong commitment and potential to support the implementation of the Institute’s projects. The incumbent is a crucial team member of UNU-WIDER’s Projects Support Team, responsible for delivering the Institute’s work programme.
Under the supervision of the Programme Officer, the incumbent will perform a wide range of project support and administrative functions, including the following duties:
- Support in the co-ordination of project planning, implementation, monitoring, reporting and closure; identify shortfalls in delivery, budget over-runs, completeness and compliance with relevant rules and procedures; identify inconsistencies, and bring them to the attention of management.
- Liaise on administrative co-ordination of project implementation activities between internal and external project leaders/participants and administrative/finance/communications personnel.
- Organize events and activities relating to the assigned projects in co-ordination with communications, procurement, and other support units providing secretarial, administrative and logistics support as required.
- Compile, summarize, and present a wide variety of documents and reports relating to assigned projects using appropriate technology/software; provide research and administrative support in preparation of presentations.
- Update internal databases; update websites, generate a variety of standard and non-standard statistical and other reports from various databases; maintains files/records (both paper and electronic).
- Draft project summaries and project activity reports for internal and external communications; assist in internal and external knowledge-sharing of project outputs and activities.
- Contribute to or draft responses to correspondence and other communications relating to assigned projects.
- Exercise quality control functions for outgoing documents and electronic content; proofread and edit texts for adherence for format, grammar, punctuation and style.
- Provide back-up support for the Travel Assistant as required.
- During the absence of other staff of the Programme/Project Support Team, assists in carrying out their duties.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Required qualifications and experience
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field with at least two (2) years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international organization; or
- Completion of secondary school education with at least five (5) years of relevant work experience, preferably in an international organization.
- Demonstrated ability to support the planning, monitoring, and implementation of projects.
- Excellent communication skills with fluency in both oral and written English. Knowledge of other UN official languages would be an asset.
- Knowledge of the UN system and key development issues is an advantage.
- Working knowledge and experience in using MS Office.
- Knowledge of an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system (preferably Oracle/PeopleSoft) would be an asset.
- Ability to work under minimal supervision and with a high level of resilience.
- Strong ability to establish priorities, multi-task and work within tight timelines.
- Excellent team player with strong communication and interpersonal skills, and ability to work in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
Remuneration will commensurate with qualifications, experience and level of responsibilities within the administration.
This is a locally-recruited post and no relocation allowance applies. The post is limited to persons residing in Finland, including persons holding a valid work permit. The successful candidate will be employed under a local contract and will not hold international civil service status nor be a ‘staff member’ as defined in the UN Staff Rules and Regulations.
UNU has its own medical insurance for employees contracted under a Personnel Service Agreement (PSA).
Duration of contract
This is full-time employment on a one (1) year Personnel Service Agreement (PSA) contract with UNU-WIDER, with the possibility for renewal subject to requirements and satisfactory work performance, with the combined duration of appointments not exceeding six (6) years.
Starting date: As soon as possible.
Interested applicants should submit their applications online using this form and must upload the following:
- a cover letter setting out how their qualifications and experience match the requirements of the position
- a completed and signed UNU Personal History (P.11) downloadable from UNU website; please avoid using similar forms provided by other United Nations
- an up-to-date CV
- a copy of highest educational degree obtained.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs (Charter of the United Nations: Chapter 3, article 8).
- Johdon assistentti, ulkoministerin kabinetti
- Psykososiaalisen tuen suunnittelija
- Taloushallinnon assistentti
- Toiminnanjohtaja (Varsinais-Suomen piiri)
- Regional Finance and Administration Delegate (RFAD)
- Project Assistant
- Project Coordinator
- Koulu- ja oppilaitosyhteistyön koordinaattori
- Finance and Events Officer
- Digitaalinen varainhankkija
- Talous- ja sosiaalioikeuksien asiantuntija
- Country Director
- Programme analyst (JPO)
- JPO-tehtäviä YK-järjestöissä
- Varainhankinnan tiimikoordinaattori
- Junior Professional Officer for the Safety + Health for All Flagship Programme (JPO)
- Associate Professional Officer (JPO)
- International Trade Center Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
- Operations and Program Manager
- Projektityöntekijä (opettaja/opettajaksi opiskeleva)
- Kampanja- ja viestintäkoordinaattori
- Humanitarian Child Protection Officer (JPO)
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen Maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.