Project Assistant – Migrant Training and Integration
Open to Internal and External Candidates
Position Title: Project Assistant – Migrant Training and Integration
Duty Station: Helsinki, Finland
Classification: General Service Staff, Grade 4
Type of Appointment: SST Graded, 6 months with possibility of extension
Estimated Start Date: As soon as possible
Closing Date: July 04, 2021
Reference Code: FI10-SVN-2021-05
Established in 1951, IOM is a Related Organization of the United Nations, and as the leading UN agency in the field of migration, works closely with governmental, intergovernmental and nongovernmental partners. IOM is dedicated to promoting humane and orderly migration for the benefit of all. It does so by providing services and advice to governments and migrants.
IOM is committed to a diverse and inclusive environment. Internal and external candidates are eligible to apply to this vacancy. For the purpose of the vacancy, internal candidates are considered as first-tier candidates.
Resettlement is a vital protection tool and a lifeline for those in need of international protection who are unable to return to their country of origin for fear of continued persecution and are also not able to stay in the first country of asylum due to a lack of local integration opportunities. IOM plays a key role in global resettlement and works along the full resettlement continuum from identification to integration.
The IOM office in Finland is engaged in resettlement to Finland, Iceland and Sweden. Resettlement cooperation with Sweden in particular includes the provision of Pre-Departure Orientation (PDO) for Sweden-bound refugees aimed at developing practical skills and attitudes that contribute to early integration. PDO is arranged through ca. 3-day sessions in countries of first asylum, and delivered by IOM staff and Cross-Cultural Facilitators (CCFs)/PDO trainers with a migrant background who are recruited by IOM.
Under the overall guidance of the Chief of Mission (CoM)/Sub-Regional Coordinator of IOM Finland and the Programme Officer, and under the direct supervision of the Project Assistant will participate in the implementation of PDO programme and project activities concerning Sweden-bound refugees. In particular, s/he will:
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Support the day-to-day organization and implementation of project activities, in particular concerning the facilitation of PDO trainings, including handling related logistics and liaison with CCFs and IOM missions in departure countries.
- Respond to general information requests and inquiries on administrative issues related to the project; set up and maintain files/records.
- Assist with travel and accommodation arrangements, and prepare travel authorizations/reimbursement claims CCFs as required;
- Assist in monitoring the work of CCFs and other implementing partners and report non-compliance to the supervisor.
- In collaboration with the Resource Management team, assist with general administrative tasks in connection with the financial / travel / human resources systems;
- Within the assigned project activities, assist in ensuring compliance with the relevant internal procurement to payment process flows, including collection of documentation, confirmation of goods/services receipts, and processing of duly completed payment requests on timely manner.
- Assist in coordination and preparation of donor reports in line with the project’s reporting schedules.
- In collaboration with the IT and Resource Management team, support the timely handling of IT equipment between IOM and the CCFs. Track, compile, analyze, summarize, and present project-related information concerning IT equipment;
- Undertake duty travel, as necessary.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience
- University Degree with two years of relevant professional experience or
- Completed High School degree from an accredited academic institution, with four years of relevant professional experience/training.
- Discreet, details and clients-oriented, patient and willingness to learn new things; and,
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications e.g. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, E-mail, Outlook; previous experience in SAP is a distinct advantage;
- Experience in working with migrants, refugees, internally displaced persons, victims of trafficking and other vulnerable groups; and,
- Prior work experience with international humanitarian organizations, non-government or government institutions/organization in a multi-cultural setting is an advantage.
- Good prior experience of drafting written material in English
- Attention to detail, ability to organize paperwork in a methodical way;
- Good knowledge of MS Office Application, especially Excel;.
- Experience in working in an intercultural setting is considered an advantage
- Good teamwork skills
- Fluency in spoken and written English.
- Working knowledge of spoken and written Swedish is advantageous.
- Inclusion and respect for diversity: respects and promotes individual and cultural differences; encourages diversity and inclusion wherever possible.
- Integrity and transparency: maintains high ethical standards and acts in a manner consistent with organizational principles/rules and standards of conduct.
- Professionalism: demonstrates ability to work in a composed, competent and committed manner and exercises careful judgment in meeting day-to-day challenges.
Core Competencies – behavioural indicators level 1
- Teamwork: develops and promotes effective collaboration within and across units to achieve shared goals and optimize results.
- Delivering results: produces and delivers quality results in a service-oriented and timely manner; is action oriented and committed to achieving agreed outcomes.
- Managing and sharing knowledge: continuously seeks to learn, share knowledge and innovate.
- Accountability: takes ownership for achieving the Organization’s priorities and assumes responsibility for own action and delegated work.
- Communication: encourages and contributes to clear and open communication; explains complex matters in an informative, inspiring and motivational way.
Any offer made to the candidate in relation to this vacancy notice is subject to funding confirmation. Appointment will be subject to certification that the candidate is medically fit for appointment and verification of residency, visa and authorizations by the concerned Government, where applicable.
Only candidates residing in either the country of the duty station or from a location in a neighbouring country that is within commuting distance of the duty station will be considered. In all cases, a prerequisite for taking up the position is legal residency in the country of the duty station, or in the neighbouring country located within commuting distance, and work permit, as applicable.
How to apply:
Interested candidates with the required qualifications should submit a cover letter and a CV. Save them in the form “Your Family Name _ Your First Name”, either as .doc or as .PDF file (e.g.: Doe_John.doc or Doe_John.PDF). All applications must be addressed to the Resource Management Officer (email: email@example.com) quoting the above vacancy notice number/reference code as well as the last name of the candidate.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Unfortunately, we are not able to answer phone inquiries at this stage.
From 15 June to 04 July 2021
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen Maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.