MSF Finland (Médecins Sans Frontières, Lääkärit Ilman Rajoja) is looking for a flexible, passionate, action-oriented Press Officer to develop and coordinate our press work. You will need to be a creative media expert with strategic thinking. Do not miss this exciting challenge to be part of a small dynamic team which will increase MSF’s capacity to provide humanitarian medical assistance to vulnerable people all over the world!
As Press Officer, you develop and implement the media strategy and plan together with the Communications Manager. You facilitate media requests to make sure MSF Finland comes out with timely messages in order to improve awareness about medical, humanitarian crises among the general public. You brief aid workers and spokespeople to make sure messages are in line with the overall messages from the movement.
In MSF Finland’s small communications team, your tasks will include support to overall comms activities as well as communications support to other activities (fundraising, human resources, advocacy).
You actively collaborate with other MSF sections’ communications personnel and operational communication officers in order to coordinate international media activities. The Press Officer might have a supporting role in MSF Sweden’s and MSF Finland’s joint crisis team.
Apart from the above, you will also:
- serve, and pro-actively inform, Finnish media with updated information on the humanitarian situation and MSF work and key messagest
- adapt suitable press releases and other material from MSF internationally for use towards the Finnish media and MSF Finland’s channels (website, social media)t
- coach, advise and support MSF interviewees and spokespeople before interviews on MSF policies, key messages and in handling sensitive issuest
- build and maintain contacts with relevant journalists in Finland as well as with Finnish correspondents abroadt
- ensure that MSF Finland’s press phone line is available 24/7 with support of MSF Swedent
- monitor, evaluate and analyse media coverage, both on MSF and on other relevant issues, and react if neededt
- facilitate possible trips for Finnish media to visit MSF projectst
- handle requests for lectures from the public and identify relevant speakers with support from the HR Managert
- report on agreed key performance indicatorst
- when possible, be available for operational/emergency communication support
What we expect from you:
- Excellent knowledge of the Finnish media and communication landscape
- Experience from all types of press work: from strategies to press releases
- Fluency in Finnish and English, both written and spoken
- Excellent editing and proofreading skills
- Experience of web publishing
- Knowledge and experience of social media
- Excellent interpersonal skills and network abilities
- Flexibility, ability to take own initiatives and handle stress, good team player
- Good sense and judgement on sensitive topics
- Understanding of and commitment to the aims and values of Médecins Sans Frontières
We also value:
- Previous MSF or other NGO communications experience
- Knowledge of international relations and humanitarian work
- Experience in acting as a spokesperson or briefing spokespeople
- Academic degree in journalism or communications
- Ability to work in Swedish
- Experience from crisis communications and communications in sensitive contexts
But in the end, what matters is that you are right person for the job. We believe this means that you have a strong commitment to humanitarian principles and values. That you have a warm and friendly interpersonal manner suitable for communicating with journalists and other stakeholders. That you are a flexible, creative team player.
What we offer you:
- an exciting job with one of the world's most respected humanitarian organisations
- flexible working hours and an international environment including travels
- a changing work environment characterized by enthusiasm and high intensity
- a workplace that strives for diversity and equality
- a working culture that is based on collective responsibility to bring our work forward
- support from MSF global movement
Conditions of employment:
Employment type: Permanent position with six (6) months’ probation
Work hours: 38 hours’ work week (100%)
Salary: 3094 euro/month
Benefits: Occupational healthcare, life insurance, travel insurance, insurance for work related injuries, free time accident insurance, wellness contribution (200 euro/year), lunch benefit.
Vacation: As per MSF FI HR policy
Location: Based in Helsinki with occasional travels
Entry date: Beginning of February 2020, negotiable.
Interested? Go ahead and apply with resume and cover letter in English on https://laakaritilmanrajoja.fi/haemme-tiedottajaa/ by 27th of November 2019. We do not accept applications via email.
For questions about the position please contact Communications Manager Kaisa Väkiparta 044 709 1048 on Tuesday 19th of November at 9–11 or Thursday 21st of November at 9–11.
MSF Finland strives for inclusiveness in its recruitments. We hope to receive applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds. Our office is accessible.
Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) is an international, independent, medical humanitarian organisation that delivers emergency aid to people affected by armed conflict, epidemics, natural disasters and exclusion from healthcare. MSF assists people based on need, irrespective of race, religion, gender or political affiliation. Our actions are guided by medical ethics and the principles of neutrality and impartiality.
Lääkärit Ilman Rajoja / MSF Finland office opened in 2018 as a branch office within the MSF movement. MSF Finland raises funds, recruits aid workers and communicates about MSF’s work and mission in order to contribute to saving lives and alleviating suffering in the world.
- Oppimisen asiantuntija
- Viestijä ja markkinoija
- Alueellinen kehitysyhteistyökoordinaattori
- Varainhankinnan koordinaattori
- Johdon assistentti, ulkoministerin kabinetti
- Psykososiaalisen tuen suunnittelija
- Taloushallinnon assistentti
- Regional Finance and Administration Delegate (RFAD)
- Toiminnanjohtaja (Varsinais-Suomen piiri)
- Project Assistant
- Project Coordinator
- Koulu- ja oppilaitosyhteistyön koordinaattori
- Finance and Events Officer
- Digitaalinen varainhankkija
- Country Director
- JPO-tehtäviä YK-järjestöissä
- Programme analyst (JPO)
- Associate Professional Officer (JPO)
- Varainhankinnan tiimikoordinaattori
- Junior Professional Officer for the Safety + Health for All Flagship Programme (JPO)
- International Trade Center Junior Professional Officer (JPO)
- Operations and Program Manager
- Kampanja- ja viestintäkoordinaattori
- Projektityöntekijä (opettaja/opettajaksi opiskeleva)
- Humanitarian Child Protection Officer (JPO)
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen Maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.