Field Specialist (International Junior Technical Adviser)
Job Title: Field Specialist (International Junior Technical Adviser)
Sustainable WASH for All, Nepal
NIRAS is looking for qualified young professionals with interest and ambition to work in Nepal in the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) sector. Sustainable WASH for All (SUSWA) is a bilateral development cooperation project jointly financed by Governments of Nepal and Finland, and the EU. SUSWA contributes to improved well-being and inclusive communities with sustainable WASH services and behaviors through local governments’ improved capacity to achieve equal rights to WASH for all.
Overall Role: The aim of the position is to provide a junior-level Finnish development cooperation expert real-life exposure to development projects on the ground, as well as practical understanding of project implementation. Even if the aim is to support in capacity development of the expert, s/he will have diverse tasks and responsibilities contributing to achievement of Programme results. The JTA will work under close supervision and mentoring by the TA team leader, but will also work with other PSU staff and stakeholders. As a member of the PSU, the JTA contributes to the overall execution of the Programme. The JTA will be based in the PSU in Surkhet, Karnali Province, but is expected to travel in the Project Municipalities and elsewhere in the country as necessary. The Junior Technical Adviser will have responsibilities as follow:
(Detailed duties will be developed to fit in the personal training plan (as a junior) and to complement the competence of the TA team).
- Organisation of trainings and raising of awareness in WASH;
- Participation in the review/preparation of manuals, plans, guidelines, strategies, documents and TORs;
- Monitoring and evaluation of WASH implementation in Municipalities with particular focus to her/his field of experience/ duties;
- Contribution to relevant workshops and conferences in Nepal;
- Assistance in planning and implementation of planning and M&E workshops at all levels;
- Development and maintenance of the Project website and preparation of Project information, education and communication materials strategy;
- Preparation and updating of Project communication plan and security/emergency plans;
- Participation in Project administration, finance and property management;
- Liaison with NGOs and projects working in the WASH sector in the Project area; and
- Other duties as assigned by CTA.
Professional experience required:
Minimum 2 years of work experience in fields related to environmental management, climate change adaptation, disaster risk reduction, water supply or sanitation, rural development, project or financial management, or other relevant field. Prior experience of working in a developing country (either as a volunteer, trainee or in paid employment) is an asset.
Educational background and Personal Qualifications required:
- Master’s degree in Environmental or Social Sciences or any other relevant discipline;
- Fluency in written and spoken English and Finnish;
- Preferably less than 32 years old.
Duration: 2 years
Commencement: October–November 2023
Supervisor: Chief Technical Advisor
Place of assignment: Project Support Unit (PSU) in Surkhet, Karnali
Applications to be sent to: Mikaela Kruskopf, NIRAS Finland at email@example.com