Plan International Finland is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls in developing countries and around the world. We connect committed people with powerful ideas in order to find solutions and trigger change that makes a real difference for children, especially girls. For 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to claim their rights, free themselves of poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan has no religious or political affiliations.
Plan International Finland is seeking a gender specialist with strong expertise on adolescent sexual and reproductive health and rights to strengthen Plan’s programme work. You will provide leadership on ensuring that Plan International Finland’s programmes promote gender equality.
You will also give technical support on specific programmes focused on adolescent SRHR and on gender equality. This is a permanent position based in Helsinki.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Support international programmes team on gender and SRHR issues in line with Plan’s policies (this will be your main responsibility)
- Strengthen the capacity of selected programme countries on gender equality and SRHR issues
- Drive innovation, quality and results within these priorities by developing guidance and supporting the scale up of effective and evidence based programme approaches and models.
- Further develop Plan Finland’s processes towards gender-transformative programming
- Contribute to the coordination of Plan’s global gender and SRHR work as an active member of international networks
- Advocate for gender equality and adolescent SRHR at relevant fora
- Support to fundraising efforts within your areas of expertise through development of concepts and engagement with potential donors
- Facilitate consistent learning and sharing of good practices among staff and partners
- At least 5 years of relevant work experience, some of it from developing countries
- University degree from an appropriate field
- In-depth understanding of gender and SRHR issues and how these link together with the child rights and human rights based approach
- Practical experience of gender mainstreaming work in a developing country context
- Strong abilities in programme design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation
- Ability to effectively advocate for, lobby and present issues at internal and external fora
- Demonstrated ability to produce clear, concise reports, concept notes and other documentation
- Ability to train others in gender and SRHR related matters
- Readiness to travel up to 4-6 weeks a year, sometimes at short notice
- Fluency in English and Finnish
- Expertise in child rights and a passion for development
We offer an opportunity to work in an exciting, development-focused role in one of world’s largest development NGOs, in a position that brings lasting change to the lives of girls and boys. We have a flexible, result-oriented professional culture that places value on employees’ wellbeing at work. You will also get a chance to work as part of a fun and talented team.
Please submit a cover letter and resumé to rekry(at)plan.fi by 28 September 2017. Please specify ‘Gender Specialist’ in the subject line. Only the candidates invited to interviews will be notified. The interviews will be held on the week starting 2 October 2017.
Programme Director Annukka von Kaufmann, phone enquiries +358 40 566 0599 on Friday 15 September at 10–11 (EET) or Friday 22 September at 14–15 (EET).
- Peace and Reconciliation Adviser, South Sudan
- Kehitysyhteistyörahoituksen asiantuntija
- Portfolio and Partnership Manager
- Global Network Coordinator (Bridge 47)
- Financial Coordinator (Bridge 47)
- Administration Coordinator (Bridge 47)