Early Childhood Care and Development in Emergencies Specialist
Plan International Finland is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls in developing countries and around the world. We connect committed people with powerful ideas in order to find solutions and trigger change that makes a real difference for children, especially girls. For 80 years, we have supported girls and boys and their communities around the world to claim their rights, free themselves of poverty and live positive fulfilling lives. Plan has no religious or political affiliations.
Early Childhood Care and Development in Emergencies Specialist (ECCDiE)
Plan International Finland is seeking an experienced ECCDiE Specialist to strengthen the ECCD technical elements of its humanitarian projects. The main focus of this position is on providing technical support for project planning, monitoring and evaluation and offering capacity building assistance for Plan International and implementing partners. Current projects are implemented in Jordan, Ethiopia and Uganda.
The ECCDiE Specialist may also be deployed through the Plan International roster to support planning and management of a humanitarian response (in sudden onset or protracted settings) as part of Plan International’s response team. During this time the duties towards Plan International Finland will cease and the position will be transferred to Plan International’s payroll with corresponding conditions and benefits. The specific duties for each deployment shall be defined prior to departure, but may include:
- Technical support to project development and ensuring that humanitarian standards and specific Plan International response standards related to ECCD are met
- Ensuring that child protection is mainstreamed or specifically included in any sectoral responses
- Supporting Plan country offices in monitoring ongoing projects, reporting, data collection and analysis
- Designing and implementing needs and impact assessments
- Designing tools to involve children in to project cycle management in a meaningful and age appropriate way
- Addressing beneficiary complaints as part of a team
- Capacity assessment of local implementing partners and other relevant stakeholders
- Capacity building of Plan International country offices and implementing partners
- Representing Plan in coordination mechanisms and forums and towards government authorities
- Supporting Plan country offices in fundraising as technical expert on ECCD
- Supervising and managing local ECCD staff
- Providing continuous updates to the IH, Regional Offices or Plan Finland, which ever appropriate
The Specialist is expected to be deployed to the projects funded through Plan International Finland or through the emergency roster of Plan International up to 70% of his/her working time.
While not deployed the ECCD specialist may be asked to deliver staff training and provide expert support for project development, communications and fundraising for Plan Finland and/or Plan’s Nordic humanitarian team.
- A higher education degree in child development, education, psychology, social work or other relevant field
- 4-6 years of experience in ECCD (at least some field experience in conflict or natural hazard emergencies and/or fragile contexts)
- Strong understanding of pre-adolescent (0-8years old) children’s needs, play-based activities, impacts of emergencies on children (including cognitive development), parenting and linkages among different sectors for children’s holistic development
- Experience adapting/implementing outcome and impact level assessments, including collecting and integrating children’s, parents/caregivers’ and teachers’ input
- Experience in training and workshop facilitation for ECCD caregivers, NGO staff (local and international) and stakeholders
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills. Able to communicate clearly and sensitively with internal and external stakeholders as a representative of Plan.
- Experience and the ability to work in diverse conflict/disaster affected communities in an inclusive and sensitive manner
- Ability to operate effectively under extreme circumstances including stress, medium security risks and simple living conditions. Works and lives with a flexible, adaptable and resilient manner.
- Fluency in English; working level Arabic is an asset
- Experience with results based project cycle management, including planning, monitoring and evaluation
- Experience with stakeholder relations and coordination (cluster, donors, government)
- Experience with situations of forced displacement
- Experience and/or knowledge of community based psycho social support and child protection in emergencies.
- Experience and/or knowledge of nutrition (<5 years old) and WaSH in emergencies
This is a re-advertisement of the same position advertised in March 2017. The position is a local contract based in Helsinki, Finland or Stockholm, Sweden. With exceptional candidate, working from other locations may be considered. This is initially a fixed-term contract for 12 months. There is a possibility for extension.
Please submit a cover letter including salary expectation and resumé to rekry(at)plan.fi by 12 October 2017. Please specify ‘ECCDiE Specialist’ in the subject line. The position may be filled before the deadline, if a suitable candidate has been identified. Only the candidates invited to interviews will be notified.
- Määräaikainen työntekijä
- Taloushallinnon sihteeri
- Peace and Reconciliation Adviser, South Sudan
- Kehitysyhteistyörahoituksen asiantuntija
- Portfolio and Partnership Manager
- Global Network Coordinator (Bridge 47)
- Financial Coordinator (Bridge 47)
- Administration Coordinator (Bridge 47)