Area Manager/ chef de base
Finn Church Aid (FCA) is Finland’s largest organisation for development cooperation and second largest provider of humanitarian assistance. FCA is a founding member of the international aid alliance of churches, ACT Alliance. We seek positive change by supporting the most vulnerable people in fragile contexts. We specialize in supporting local communities’ right to peace, livelihoods and quality education.
Finn Church Aid (FCA), is looking for a
Area Manager/ chef de base – based in Berberati, Central Africa Republic (CAR)
Central African Republic is one of FCA’s main program countries, where the organization engages in relief and development work since 2013.
FCA in CAR is a self-implementing program focusing on Right to Quality Education, Right to Peace and Right to Livelihood. Our main donors are currently Ministry for Foreign Affairs of Finland, and UNICEF. The Berbearati sub-base oversees currently a program to enhance access to quality education, including activities like school construction and rehabilitation, training of teachers and parent-teachers, and promoting peaceful co-existence and social cohesion in the eschool environment.
Under the direct supervision of the Program Manager, the Area Manager will give his/her technical expertise as required to supervise and manage FCA’s sub-base in Berberati. He/she will support field activities by maintaining the necessary operational structures and security measures, while ensuring transparent and accountable grant implementation, financial and HR management, and reporting.
Main areas of Responsibility:
- Oversee the daily operations of the base, directly supervise project staff and support functions including security, logistics, finance, HR, and administration
- Ensure quality planning and implementation of FCA humanitarian programmes focusing on education in Sangha Mbaere and Mambere Kadei according to timeline / logframe
- Follow up on CHS requirements and implement at operational and program levels
- Monitoring of program activities and providing narrative and financial reports; including travelling to hardly accessible remote rural areas
- Responsible for the programme budget in liaison with finance department.
- Monitor the local security situation and inform both Country Security Officer and Country Director of developments through regular communication.
- Ensure compliance with proper financial, procurement, and general operational protocols and reporting of the field office
- Responsible for the security management of the field office
- Represent FCA in various fora, maintain collaborative relationships with UN bodies, NGOs, local authorities, local contractors, and other key stakeholders
- Undertake other duties as designated
Competence and Personal Requirements:
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with an INGO/International Agency
- Master degree or equivalent degree in relevant field preferred
- Fluency in written and spoken French and English
- Proven leadership and team mamagement skills and ability to work effectively with both technical and non-technical staff in a multicultural settings
- Experience of implementing humanitarian/development projects in a post-conflict setting
- Proven experience and capacity in humanitarian project management, PMER, financial management and procurement
- Strong planning, monitoring and evaluation skills
- Good understanding of humanitarian approaches and standards and gender issues
- Experience in cooperating and networking with LNGOs, INGOs, Governmental Institutions, Local Authorities, UN Agencies
- Highly motivated, results-oriented, and creative in problem-solving
- Strong computer skills, including Microsoft Office package
- Valid driving license
Living /Environmental conditions in CAR:
The Central African Republic is a nation of 4.6 million people, ranked as one of the poorest nations in the world, with an average life expectancy of only 39 years. Bangui is a capital city of about 700,000 inhabitants. Following 3 years of instability and transitional Government, a newly elected government in March 2016 has decreased the insecurity in the country. Berberati is generally free of any serious threats towards international or national staff, outside of petty theft. However, carjacking and targeted looting do occur on occasion. Hospitals and access to quality health care is very limited. Malaria is prevalent. It is estimated that 7-8% of the population may be HIV positive. Suitable individual housing is available, but electricity and clean water are sometimes sporadic.
The fixed-term contract for this position will be made until December 31st 2018 due to the current funding situation. The contract include four months’ probation period. The compensation is based on FCA Compensation System and depends on prior work experience. Monthly salary includes adverse working conditions allowance. The position is a no-family post and accommodation might be co-housing. Position also includes R&R benefits.
For more information please contact CAR Country Director Katja José, katja.jose (at) kua.fi. Requests by email should be clearly marked with a subject “Query: Area Manager, based in Berberati”.
Please apply by using the link no later than 13th January 2018. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis. Suitable candidate may be recruited before the end of application time.
- Kaksi hankesuunnittelijaa
- Henkilöstökoordinaattori Kontti-kierrätystavarataloon
- Ohjaajia vastaanottokeskukseen
- Vaikuttamistyön päällikkö
- Vapaaehtoistoiminnan koordinaattori
- Kriisi- ja perhetyöntekijä Nuorten turvataloon
- Assistentti rahoituksen, viestinnän ja sidosryhmätyön osastolle
- Varainhankinnan koordinaattori, koulutoiminta
- Markkinoinnin ja varainhankinnan koordinaattori
- Project Assistant or Project Officer, Programme Management Office
- Johtaja Nuorten turvataloon
- Education Specialist
- Humanitarian aid Adviser
- Katuvarainhankinnan koordinaattori
- Aluepäällikkö Lähi-itään