Advocacy Coordinator, Education in Emergencies
Finn Church Aid (FCA) is Finland’s biggest development co-operation organisation and the second biggest organisation in Finland working in humanitarian aid. Finn Church Aid is a member of the ACT Alliance (ACT), an alliance of faith-based development and humanitarian aid organisations forming one of the world’s largest aid organisations.
FCA is looking for a Advocacy Coordinator, Education in Emergencies - based in Head Office, in Helsinki.
Finn Church Aid (FCA) has agreed with the Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE), to support INEE’s international advocacy work by providing a person to coordinate INEE’s Advocacy Working Group. It has been agreed that the focus of this position will include:
- INEE Advocacy Working Group Coordination (80%)
- Supporting FCA with education advocacy as well as connecting INEE’s advocacy work to FCA’s education staff, deployments and internal capacity development (20%)
INEE is an open, global network of individuals and representatives from nongovernmental organizations, UN agencies, donor agencies, governments, academic institutions, schools, and affected populations working together to ensure all persons the right to quality, relevant, and safe education in emergencies and post-crisis recovery. INEE has over 13,500 members.
INEE, through the INEE Advocacy Working Group and with strong engagement of the INEE Director and the INEE Steering Group, engages in international advocacy highlighting the need for quality education and ensuring a strong member voice for education in emergencies. The INEE Secretariat is hosted by INEE members with the current staff located in New York, Geneva, San Francisco, Seattle, Chile, London, Portugal and France. The Advocacy Coordinator, Education in Emergencies position will be located in Helsinki, at FCA’s Head Office. The position entails travel to INEE meetings and relevant advocacy events.
The Advocacy Coordinator is part of the Executive Director’s Office at FCA’s Head Office in Helsinki. The Advocacy Coordinator reports on administrative and FCA related matters to FCA Head of Advocacy and Global Ecumenical Relations and on INEE related matters to the INEE Director.
Under the direction of the INEE Director and in collaboration with the current Advocacy Working Group members and co-chairs, the Advocacy Coordinator will:
- Support the implementation of INEE Advocacy Working Group activities
- With the support of the Advocacy Working Group, position INEE as a thought leader and driver of key EiE advocacy efforts (e.g., Education 2030 and the Education Cannot Wait Fund).
- Lead the organization of the Working Group’s bi-annual meetings, policy roundtables and related events
- Bring together stakeholders across various domains to foster dialogue, influence positive change in policy and practice, advance research to build the evidence base
- Elevate the voices of the membership and promote new, little- known, or little-understood ideas
- Assist with compilation of edits and feedback from Working Group members on various documents and tasks; editing and reviewing documents as needed
- Foster collective action to support members to develop capacities and carry out their activities more efficiently and effectively
- Acquire, filter, organize, synthesize, and disseminate relevant information to achieve advocacy goals and targets incl. Advocacy Working Group webpages on the INEE website
- Mobilize resources, materials, and opportunities that support members’ work and respond to their demands
- Liaise with other INEE Working Groups, INEE Secretariat, and INEE Steering Group to ensure collaboration and shared goals are reached
- Provide general support and reporting to the INEE Secretariat and broader membership as requested
While not working for the INEE, the Advocacy Coordinator will perform his/her duties under the supervision of the Head of Advocacy and Global Ecumenical Relations. Tasks will be related FCA’s education advocacy as well as connecting INEE’s advocacy work to FCA’s education staff, deployments and internal capacity development
Competence and Personal Requirements:
- At least five years of experience working in the field of education in emergencies
- Experience in creation of or work on advocacy, including development of advocacy strategies, messaging, communications, advocacy campaigns, and practical experience in advocacy, and events-organisation
- Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. education, communications, social work, international relations, communications, public relations)
- Knowledge of the INEE network
- Knowledge of and experience networking and advocacy with education-focused development and humanitarian stakeholders, including donors and governments
- Experience managing web content, with back-end content management system experience preferred
- Ability to be flexible, self-directed and work well independently, under pressure, and in a fast-paced environment
- Excellent organizational skills; the ability to track and follow-up on various tasks
- Excellent analytical and writing skills; the ability to draft briefs, reports, and syntheses for varied audiences
- Excellent interpersonal, communications and facilitation skills; the ability to successfully interact with a variety of people
- Fluent in English (familiarity or knowledge of INEE’s other working languages highly valued: French, Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese)
The fixed-term contract for this position will be made for a year with four months’ probation period, starting as soon as possible, ideally latest by March 1. The compensation is based on FCA Compensation System and depends on prior work experience.
For more information please contact Head of Advocacy and Global Ecumenical Relations Katri Suomi (at) kua.fi or INEE Director Dean Brooks (at) ineesite.org or call +358 40 635 1738 on Tuesday January 9, between 10–11 or Thursday January 11, between 13–14.
Please apply by using the link below no later than January 15, 2018. Applicants will be short-listed and contacted for an interview on a progressive basis.
- OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine
- Project developer and writer
- OSCE Special Monitoring Mission to Ukraine
- Viestinnän asiantuntija
- Country Delegate to Burundi
- Johtava projektipäällikkö
- Country Director
- European Union CSDP Mission in Iraq
- Lahjoittajamarkkinoinnista vastaava
- Asiantuntija (ilmastopolitiikka)
- Poliisiasiantuntijoita YK-operaatioihin
- Digital Design Associate and Webmaster
Saat kerran viikossa koosteen maailma.netin uutisista, tapahtumista ja työpaikoista sähköpostiisi. Tietojasi käytetään vain uutiskirjeen lähettämiseen. Rekisteriseloste täällä.